Merge two instances Jira Service Desk with Jira Software without using additional plugins

Nikola Djurdjevic August 30, 2019

Hi all I would like to merge two Jira instances into single one and then shutdown previous two and start using merged one. One is Jira Service Desk and second is Jira Software. I have installed latest Jira on target machine (the future merged instance) and restore successfully Jira Sofware instance backup. So I have Jira Software instance up and running on target machine. Than I have installed Jira ServiceDesk application on target instance. Now I need to transfer all configuration and projects from JiraServiceDesk to target instance. What I have found so far is that I need to purchase expensive plugins to transfer projects and settings from one instance to another one or to manually create all configuration and than backup/restore projects. 

My question is:

Is there a way to transfer it like I did it for Jira Software using system backup? If JiraSoftware is one application and the Jira Service Desk is another one there should be no collision between them. Is such thing possible ?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2019

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for your response. 

I can confirm that Jira does not contain any functionality to migrate project configuration out of the box to allow instances to be merged as it only allows a whole instance to be restored into a new instance. 

The closest functionality Jira provides is the Project Import functionality described here which allows you to import in a proejct from an XML backup but this requires the configuraton for the project to have been manually configured in the instance which is being imported into.

In order to merge both configuration and data between two instances then you will either need to use the Project Conifgurator or Configuration Manager for Jira plugin as these plugins will provide the functionality that you require. 

I can also confirm that if you are interested in using Project Configurator that the Getting Started guide located inside of the docuemntation here will provide a good guide and soem demo videos to show how the plugin could be used to achieve your requirements. 

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

Hi Kristian, 

Thank you for your response.

I have assumed that it is not possible out of the box but I needed confirmation. 

Kind regards, 

Nikola

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2020

Atlassian Help Desk representative helped me with this to change the hyperlink from /single portal id to . . . http:// ...servicedesk/customer/portals

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2020

Question are all the instances same configuration--server versus cloud?

Nikola Djurdjevic January 31, 2020

All instances were Server edition. I had to upgrade all instances to same version before exporting/importing projects. That was request defined by plugin for project export/import. In my case, Jira Service Desk was just another Jira application. I didn't merge, for example, two Jira Software instances. Eventually we didn't do the merge. We gave up due to issues with licence expenses and other business related issues. 

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2019

Hello,

If you want to merge instances without plugins, then you would need to create all project configurations manually and then export all issues to a csv file from the Source instance and import this csv file to the Destination instance.

Hi Alexey, 

Thank you for your reply and advice. I will have that in mind.

Kind regards, 

Nikola

Suggest an answer