Merge two independent JIRA and Confluence internal user directories

Jamie Edwards April 6, 2014

When we set up Confluence and JIRA many years ago, we did so independently. We also asked users to register on both.

So now we have two independent JIRA and Confluence internal user directories.

We want to migrate to Atlassian OnDemand.

As part of this, we'll need to merge these two user directories and and import our users.

Some users have the same username, some not.

Do you know how?

Atlassian support hasn't given me a particularly clear answer (and I am not sure they understand what I am trying to do or why).

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2014

First step would be to rename the users in one of the application to match the other one. Once you do that, you can migrate the apps, first JIRA and then Confluence, to onDemand.

No need of merging to be done before the migration I guess because in onDemand, you can set Confluence to use the JIRA user directory. As long as the users and groups matches, everything should work fine.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2014

Yup, rename the users.

Jamie Edwards April 6, 2014

Thank you for the answer. By rename, do you mean rename the user accounts to match each other?

Suggest an answer