Merge two Jira server instances.

manhnh August 25, 2016

Lets say two instance is A and B.

If I use a full backup of A to import projects to B, does it import users?

If it doesnt then what happen and what do i need to do?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2016

Manhnh,

You can't you full restore to merge two instances. It will wipe the target instance.

Let us say you want to merge A and B.

1. Take full XML backup of A.
  2. Create all the A  configuration on B either manually or using Configuration Manager add-on. This includes all the schemes, workflows, issue types, statues, custom fields, permissions, etc
  3. Go to B and perform Project Import and import projects from A XML backup to B one by one

The actual merge could be simple or complex procedures. You may need to match the JIRA versions also.

Ravi

manhnh August 25, 2016

So the importance before importing is that I need to create on B all configuration from A that B doesnt have right?

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2016

Exactly!

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2016

Or use the CSV importer to get core issue data, comments and attachments. Still needs some custom work

Rafael Corredor August 28, 2016

Hi Ravi,

Is there any solution to automate project import? We are following exactly does steps, but we have more than 100 projects to migrate... and one by one is a headache sad

Thank you

Mahantesh Chanapannavar November 22, 2016

Hi Ravi,

We are planning to merge the instance-2 (ver 6.7.16) to instance-1(ver 7.1.2).

Instance-2 is of 100 user license and instance-1 is of 25 user license.

Is there a guide book or information on how to merge these 2 instances?

Is there a possible data loss for this activity?

How to take care to avoid the data loss if any?

Are all the fields/options/customs/permissions/integrated tools still remains ok without any issue?

Regards,

Mahantesh

Tej July 11, 2017

Hi Ravi!

What if we wanna merge data, configuration, users etc from Stand Alone JIRA Server to Data Center JIRA instance, can we follow above process as you mentioned?

Thanks,

Tej dave.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2017

Data Center should not affect a merge

Mahantesh Chanapannavar July 11, 2017

I did a two JIRA server merge of two instances recently using add-on "Project Configurator". The add-on works awesome and very quick, one shot.

* Took around 1-2 hrs of effort for final merge after all initial trials and confirms that data will be there

* The passwords, avatar's of 2nd instance will not be imported to final JIRA (merged one) when completed

* So far looks good and still on observation. Hope all will be good and no issues w.r.t data

Deleted user August 3, 2017

How do you handle if data is named the same way in both instances?

Issue types, Groups, Projects, Project Roles, Customs fields etc

Mahantesh Chanapannavar August 5, 2017

Best part is, it's all taken care by tool itself. I too had so many questions before doing it on test machine, but when did few times and confirmed that nothing is missing and no overwrite, then planned on production JIRA and successful.

I faced issue of importing attachments but I got work around from respective tool support and helped to overcome.

I have documented the steps which I have followed, I can share if required. Its not so extensionsive but may help @ some extent.

Deleted user August 9, 2017

Yes please could you provide us information on how you resolved attachments.

Mahantesh Chanapannavar August 9, 2017

Please find the information in the link which helped me to overcome the attachments issue:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/project-import-fails-due-to-too-many-errors-747836945.html

Suggest an answer