Menu item "Outgoing Mail" not available

I want to configure the Mail/SMTP settings in JIRA (Server version 6.3.1 on Linux CentOS 6.5) but under System -> Mail I have only three options (Mail Queue, Send E-mail, HipChat Configuration). According to the documentation there should be an item Outgoing Mail but not in our case.

According to our Global Permissions, I have the permissions of JIRA System Administrators which are needed to access the mail configuration.

What can I do to be able to configure the settings in Outgoing Mail?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Yes, you only need the "JIRA System Administrators". I would make sure one more time that you are a member of one of those groups. Are you able to see "Restore" JIRA option, for example?

Also, check the logs to see if there are any errors.

Thanks, Jobin, for your quick answer.

Yes, I see the "Restore System" option as "JIRA System Administrators".

The solution was to check the logfile catalina.out. It showed:

'com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin' - 'Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Mail Plugin' failed to load.

I loaded the plugin manually and now I see also "Outgoing Mail" and "Incoming Mail".

Additionally I enhanced the "wait timer" for the plugins start up from 60 to 300 seconds (-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300) because the Agile plugin didn't get enabled after a restart of JIRA, too.

Thanks a lot,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

245 views 6 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot