Measuring time to market in JIRA

Alex Andersen October 12, 2017

Soo I got this cute little problem and waaay too little actual experience with jira to understand what the best solution is. So I'll breakdown the problem and see if someone clever can point me in the best direction.

Problem: We have a few steps in our software management process, where todays workflow is based on when responsibility for approval changes. However we want to be able to improve on our time-to-market, which includes timing the steps in between the statuses in our workflow. Checkpoints so to speak.

The end goal is to end up with something like:
Step 1 -> Step 2(Risk-evaluation completed): 3.4 days (avg 7.2 days)
Step 2 -> Step 3(Solution description and estimates completed): 5.2 days (avg 5.9 days)
Step 3 -> Step 4(Business case completed): 19.1 days (avg 39.1 days)
Total: Step 1 -> Step 4: 31.7 days (avg 52.2 days)

The averages does not need to be part of the solution if we can export the data in some way to whatever tool for analysis. 

Note that im not interested in the hours a person spends on a step, only time from opening to closing.

I have considered using:
Statuses in the workflow: However it doesnt make sense to change status for a step which is for example, created business case, and its quite the long list of statuses needed, and transitions between them is hard as its not always done in the same order. It simply makes jira harder to use.

Checklists: Its simple, but the timestamps and dataextraction is a problem I do not understand how to handle.

Subtasks: These can give me the timestamps for "open since", I could also automate creating new sub-tasks once the previous step has completed. But there are often other actual sub-tasks which needs to be done, and everything might get very cluttery. Possible sulition would be to have different sub-task types, but I dont know if this is possible.

Custom fields: Using custom fields for each step and inputing like dates for completion. Its manual, but it's at lest simple. I think.

Anyone have anything similar they could share their experiences on out there? :)

1 answer

0 votes
Egor Grinvald August 16, 2018

Hello!! Recently, we with the team are developing the concept of Agile KPI's including Time to market. And we faced the same problem.  Which graphs or tool's allows you to easily track the stages of the project to calculate the time to market? :)

Suggest an answer