May open source projects using JIRA Cloud have private projects?

Christopher Orr February 3, 2015

Open source projects can apply to use JIRA Cloud for free, but there's no further information or contact info aside from a sign-up form — https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request — so I'm asking here:

Is it possible for open source JIRA Cloud admins to set up restricted projects, e.g. a "security" project, which only certain users can see, where members of the public can responsibly disclose security issues?

I would guess that open source JIRA Cloud admins wouldn't be any more restricted than regular JIRA Cloud users, but it would be nice to be sure before going through the sign-up process (though the lack of LDAP support may well be a killer anyway).

1 answer

0 votes
George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2015

I really appreciate Atlassians support for Open Source projects by offering JIRA OnDemand for free for those projects. Once you have your OD instance you will surely create a public project for your product. That's what it is for and shows the world how great the product is.

But you can also create other projects that are permitted for a closed user group only or even for yourself. That is very common anyways for Open Source projects, like a beta release test project with a limited amount of beta testers, or an alpha release project for yourself with which you can manage let's say your requirements for a new Open Source product.

You are after all administrator of your OD instance and can create projects and permission schemes as you need them. Atlassian has a great set of products and an awesome policy to support us open source developers. I cannot stress that enough even tho I am not affiliated with them. It is only practical, and I am sure Atlassian agrees, that such an OD instance may also serve closed user group projects.

Suggest an answer