May i take jira backup to trial version of jira 6.0.3 from jira 4 licensed version?

Suresh July 7, 2013

Hi All,

I am unable to take back to jira 6 from jira 4 licensed vesrion,

Could you tell me how we can restore the jira 6 trail version form jira 4 licensed?

While taking jira backup it is redirectiong to http://localhost:5050/secure/SetupApplicationProperties!default.jspa

we need to enter any key to restore the system?

Thanks In advance,

3 answers

0 votes
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2013

I believe the problem you are facing here is the matter of incremental upgrades. As far as I can recall, it is not possible (or rather, not advisable) to jump from JIRA 4 to JIRA 6 directly. What I would suggest is to perform step-by-step upgrade from version to version. The reason for this is because there are some major changes between 4 and 6, in which a direct upgrade may break the entire process.

I would suggest the following:

• JIRA 4 > JIRA 4.4 (for user management migration)
  • JIRA 4.4 > JIRA 5.0 (for updated entries in the database)
  • JIRA 5.0 > JIRA 5.5
  • JIRA 5.5 > JIRA 6

Since you are doing this from HSQLDB to MySQL, might as well have a test database for the upgrade (a separate one from the production version). Create an XML backup of the JIRA 4 instance, setup the test instance for JIRA 4.4 + MySQL test database, and import the XML into it.

Then, as you install JIRA 5 and beyond, just point the $JIRA_HOME directory settings to the test instance's $JIRA_HOME. Example would be:

1. JIRA 4.4 on /home/testuser/jira4.4-app; $JIRA_HOME in /home/testuser/jira-home
  2. JIRA 5.0 on /home/testuser/jira5.0-app; $JIRA_HOME in /home/testuser/jira-home
  3. ... and so on

This will ensure that whenever you install a new version and point the JIRA_HOME of that new version to a particular point, the instance will be upgraded.

Once you are done with all of it, create the XML backup from the test JIRA 6 instance to your production JIRA 6 instance.

Suresh July 7, 2013

we have backup of jira jira 5.1.5

Even this backup also not able to move inside mysql DB with jira 6

Suresh July 7, 2013

Ok, I have done the same but I am getting following exception

How to reslove this issue

• Error importing data: java.lang.Exception: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Action][id,10387][body, • ReviewSurge Consumer Report Txn. ○ ReviewSurge Consumer Report Txn - internal-yyyymmdd/reviewsurgetxn/reporttxn.{dealer_guid}.{HHmmss}.{type}.{vin}.<{email}>.{txn_id}.xml ○ Modify CobaltTransactionReport.ps1 to use ReviewSurge Consumer Report Txn rather than the AuthenticomBlobUrl ○ The format of the file remains unchanged ○ Records must contain a unique VIN - when the second or higher vin in a day's file is accessed, ignore it ○ This needs a catch up script • RevewSurgeComponent Clean up ○ Get rid off ReviewSurgeReportEmail ○ Delete ReviewSurgeReportEmailQueue ○ Add in basic logging with Component as txn_id_1 and record the actual data sent to the mobile phone][author,somnath.mr@indecomm.net][updated,2013-03-19 16:45:51.406][created,2013-03-19 16:45:51.406][issue,10259][type,comment][updateauthor,somnath.mr@indecomm.net] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO jiraaction (ID, issueid, AUTHOR, actiontype, actionlevel, rolelevel, actionbody, CREATED, UPDATEAUTHOR, UPDATED, actionnum) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x97\x8B Re...' for column 'actionbody' at row 1))
0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2013
Suresh July 7, 2013

I am able to connect Mysql DB perfectly but not able to take backup of data from HSQL BD to MYsql.

After clicking of Import your existing date. After the that i am providing file name restore section.But it is not processing 100%.And too it is redirect to

http://localhost:5050/secure/SetupApplicationProperties!default.jspa to this page

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013
Suresh July 7, 2013

Yes i Went through,JIRA 4 is connected to HSQLDB and,Now we copuld like to use mysql for jira 6,

So I have connected to to Mysql DB from JIRA 6.And taking backup of HSQLDB og jira4.May be this is the problem to get errors?

Suggest an answer