May I have in the same installation both projects PUBLIC (for opensource) and PRIVATE (paid license)?

JG March 21, 2014

I work with several private projects. Recently I downloaded for evaluation the JIRA and JIRA Agile to control these projects. But I have two opensource projects and I would like to control the issues using JIRA. Is it possible have PUBLIC project (with several users) and PRIVATE projects (users limited to the license I have)?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2014

I am interpreting the question request differently. Can Joao have two Jira licenses (opensource and paid) on a single instance of Jira? The answer is no since licenses are not additive and there is no way to associate a license with a particular set of users. He will need two instances of Jira.

The opensource license requirements would not allow the license to be used for commerical (private) projects.

JG March 21, 2014

I am figuring about it. As the JIRA have an special license for Open Source projects, I believe that is the better idea have two licenses and two indenpendent instances: One for my private projects and another for the Open Source projects.

Fabian Lopez March 22, 2014

Joao,

I took that approach for www.vxvista.orgthat is open source environment and then use paid license for internal commercial projects. It is better to have two licenses and two environments. Please keep in mind that plugins are following the license you have installed on the instance in use.

Keeping both environments will facilitate the honoring of the free open source license that you are getting from Atlassian.

Regards

Fabian

&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2014

hello,

You can not mix the license type within a jira server

If you are using a JIRA Unlimited Users: Open Source License you may run into trouble with your paid plugin [1].

much simpler is to have two server , each one with the corresponding licenses (and security scheme) you can then just create an application link if required.

1 : there is open source licence for Jira Agile , Capture ..

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2014

Sorry Joao, we've got into a bit of a security discussion here which isn't quite related to your question.

Fabio's basic approach is the right one.

You basically split your users into two groups (obviously, you can get a lot more complex than this). You then set up permissions so that group A can see open-source projects, and B can see the others.

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2014

Hi Joao,

you could create a custom permission scheme for your PUBLIC projects. You could add "Group (Anyone)" to same specific permission like Create Issue/Browse Project and so on at your convenience. After doing that, associate this new permission scheme to you projects.

Now, anonymous user can use these projects even if they are not JIRA user.

Regards,

Fabio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2014

Be very very careful with that approach - if you do it, then ANYONE can use your system. Read only access is ok, but if you allow any form of write then

1) You won't have any record of WHO is writing

2) You WILL be spammed if you put your system on the internet

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2014

Hello Nic,

as you know, permission scheme let you define what anonymous users can do withinh JIRA.

In my opinion, for example, anonyous users could create issue and in order to trace who did it, you can add some custom fields such User Email/User Name as mandatory fields.

In order to prevent spam, you could also insert a CAPTCHA on issue creation (provided by third part plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ELVAC.JIRA.JTools)

Regards,

Fabio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2014

Yes, I know, that's what permission schemes are for.

This doesn't add anything to my point that you can't track anonymous users. So what if you provide a field for an email address? You can put rubbish in it. Jira will still show "anonymous did X". If you allow anonymous to make comments, then you'll get a string of comments made by anonymous and no way of knowing if Alice, Bob or Charlie made them.

I'll say it again - if you allow anonymous write, you have no audit/tracking log. There's no way around the fact that you are not going to capture who is doing things.

I'd never recommend using anonymous write without thinking through the full implications of not being able to identify activity in your system.

Captcha might seem like it would help, and it'll stop the casual spammer, but Captcha farming costs pennies nowadays, and there's several programs out there that are nearly as good as humans.

I would never allow anonymous write on a public system. It can, and will be, spammed.

JG March 21, 2014

Thanks for the answers Nic and Fabio. I have a doubt about the anonymous access. An anonymous user can create an Issue and receive notifications about that issue?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2014

It depends from Permission Scheme and Notification Scheme configured for that specific project.

JG March 22, 2014

Thanks Fabio. I believe that the best option is create two different instances - one for private projects and another for the open source and public project. That way I can leave the control design for reading, but for creating tickets I require the user to register.

Suggest an answer