Maximum Limit of "Issue Links"

Christian Tazl September 15, 2015

Hi Guys,

is there a maximum limit of "issue links" defined ?

Example:
Issue1  < relates to > Issue 2
             < relates to > Issue 3
             < relates to > Issue 4

And if a limit exists:

-) Can I change this ?
-) What error message appears if this siuation happens ?

Thanks & Regards
Christian

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2015

No technical limit - you'll find your humans can't use issues with too many links well before JIRA fails.

DRL | Natalia Sanchez November 9, 2018

There's definitely a limit to how many links can be created to a single issue= 10.  If you try to add more than 10 links, it will override existing links to leave the last 10 that were selected.  That's a huge constraint on a fundamental functionality.... it'd be like CAD software saying you can only mate 10 parts in your 3D model.  

Any real solutions for updating this number?

Susan Sheehan June 5, 2019

I've experienced the issue where any more than 10 links set up to be created from workflow rules sometimes will generate all linked issues and sometimes will limit the issues generated to 10.   

Any suggestions to ensure all linked issues get generated? 

Thanks

2 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2017

Whenever you use a system in way that is not intended, you will find some bottleneck. In this case it could be that the browser will take too long to download all that HTML about the links. 

JIRA isn't intended to have thousands of links in an issue. Probably better to find some other solution to whatever the problem is you are trying to solve.

And a car is not a truck.

0 votes
AndreH September 8, 2017

I would say there is a limit
I have a test system JIRA 7.3.1
I just found a ticket with over 38,000 Issue Links (affected by workflow)
This ticket is now experincing extreme issues,
Just opening the issue within Internet Explorer affected my local windows system to use over 1.5GB of memory before losing connection with the JIRA system
I am still attempting to delete the issue and remove the links

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2017

You're not hitting the limit of what Jira can technically hold (you're not even close), but you are running into the problem that it does not have enough resources to handle them, and, of course, you're way past the number of links that is even vaguely useful.

0 votes
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

I dont think there is any limit on the number of issue links you can perform. So you should be fine.

Pilar

Suggest an answer