Matrix Based Flow in JIRA

Prasad Andrews October 20, 2019

Hi Team,

Can we modify JIRA workflow based on required framework including matrix-based flow?. 

{How to create the matrix based workflow? How to modify the JIRA workflow based on the framework.}

With any plugin it will help us to define structured/non-structured
project workflow (including tracking and relationship based on multiple labels)
by using linking mechanism.?? [ If yes could you please let me know how to do ]

Also, with plugin can we proceed with
different jira workflow in lieu of keeping only one master workflow and can
follow the same mechanism for any project.?

[Is this achievable please let me know your inputs how to achieve my requirement using any suitable plugin.]

Please help me with my questions to better understand so i need to give some inputs to my management on Matrix based flow in JIRA. So please answers to all my questions

Regards,

Andrews

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2019

Yes, you can do a lot with a Jira workflow, including make it work like that.  Draw out the matrix you want, and use it to build the Jira workflow using "create workflow"

You don't need plugins to provide any of these functions, although I would look at the scripting and automation plugins to make the process easier and more useful.

Workflows are locked to the issue type though, and you should design them with that in mind - changing the issue type to get an issue to work with a different flow is indicative of a broken process, and should be avoided.

Prasad Andrews October 23, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I am using Structure plugin is it possible to create the teams/programs like Portfolio for Jira

I want to maintain a high-level view of all the work across each of my teams including current status, ownership, etc. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2019

It won't be quite the same as Portfolio, but you can replicate some of it in Structure.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2019

Hello, @Prasad Andrews. As Nic says, Structure works differently than Portfolio, but "yes" this can be done.

Fundamentally, Structure does not change Jira the way Portfolio and some other products do. And, it is designed to adapt to the way you do things -- it does not force you to adapt to the tool.

So, the real question here is: How do (will you) define a team or program in Jira? With a custom field for example? With a custom issue type?

Once we know how you'll be doing that, we can tell you how to use that information effectively in Structure. 

-dave [ALM Works]

P.S. I noticed you asked a related question elsewhere on the Community. Perhaps it would be easiest to have a direct dialogue with ALM Works.  Our support team provides support to Structure evaluators (as well as paying customers).  If you'd like to do that head over to alm.works/support. 

Prasad Andrews October 30, 2019

Hi @Dave Rosenlund  Thanks for your response. I am using Team as a custom Dropdown field, Program I am planning to use the issue type.

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2019

Hi, @Prasad Andrews. In that case, doing what you wish to do will be very straightforward in Structure.  

You can use the Grouper or Sort automation upon the custom Team field that you have created. You can show any other field you wish, e.g. Assignee/Owner, Status, and so on, in a Structure column.

You can use the custom issue type "Program" to create and modify your structures.

Feel free to reach out to our support team if you need any help. 

Good luck,

-dave [ALM Works] 

Suggest an answer