It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Matching via use of the question mark "?"

I read where the 'question mark' in a JQL statement is intended to match a single character.  I also read where fuzzy matches are supposed to match the whole supplied phrase/word .

In Jira Cloud.. this JQL returns WAY more records than it should, despite there being no record that looks anything like it (as a whole).

Summary ~ "20??purplemonkeydishwasher"

True.. we do have records that have the numbers '20' in their summary... but unless someone snuck in 'purplemonkeydishwasher' into 8,000+ Summary fields.. the returned results seem a bit 'ambitious'.

I'm really just trying to match Summaries with a Year value in them (example "[2018]" and "[2019]" (with the square braces).  I was hoping to avoid typing out the whole year (by using the "??") .. so i wouldn't have to come back every year and add another value to the JQL statement. 

Anyone else experience this behavior, or am i just completely off-base with my assumptions on how this JQL should work?

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @Charles Johnson 
As I understand the documentation (and its application),

You can search for multiple character wildcard searches using * at the end of a word.

I guess the character wildcard may only be used at the end of a word. That's why your "purplemonkeydishwasher" is not managed...
Moreover,

Unsupported term searches:

• A single character search ( ? ) will automatically convert to a wildcard search ( * ) at the end of the term.

So is "?" useful? I don't know...
Maybe you may try

summary~ "20*" and summary~"purplemonkeydishwasher"

To find your issues...

Hope it helps !

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

303 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you