Mapping users from Bugzilla to JIRA - selected users for a project only

LaszloB September 5, 2012

When trying to import a selected project from Bugzilla to JIRA, importer plugin will offer the option to map Bugzilla users to exsiting JIRA users, or will create automatically the corresponding users in JIRA.

My problem is that while we have more than 700 users in Bugzilla, but only 10 assigned to the imported single project, I would still need to map all 700+ users, or they will be created automatically (and without bulk user removal it's really a pain to clean them up easily).

Is there any option to only import/map Bugzilla users really involved with my single selected project? Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

There's no option in JIRA Importers Plugin. You'd have to copy you Bugzilla database and remove them. Or remove users that were imported using JIRA Command Line Interface.

LaszloB September 6, 2012

Pawel, thanks for the straight answer. Unfortunately both options inflict a lot of extra work: cleaning up Bugzilla db or removing them after migration with Command Line Interface (700+ logins in both cases) means a lot of manual work, and more, a lot of potential human risk.

And since we have to do this with several projects in the near future, all of them having a different subset of the 700+ logins, it would result in many clean-up procedures on different login sets. Obviously it could be done only once in Jira after all projects are migrated, but then we would lose the control of gradual project level migration of users, which is something we can't afford at this point.

I will try to find alternative solutions for this issue, hoping someone might have run into it earlier, or maybe, with the hope to find some components from which a workaround solution could be built without running the risky manual work of (selecting, removing) unnecessary logins.

Do You think it would make sense to issue an enhancement request for:

- limiting Bugzilla project migration to only map and migrate users having any reference to in migrated project, or

- enhancing migration with possibility to switch off full login migration, and necessity to map only users having any reference to in migrated project?

0 votes
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

Sure, please raise an improvement requests for both of them.

Suggest an answer