Mapping email - reporter

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2013

Hi,

I create new issues in project from email, but I want to 'map' (make relationship) email with a user in JIRA.

Let me explain, I have one user 'A' in Jira with email 'sample@jira.cat'. I want that if this user 'A' send email to a project, a new issue is created in which reporter is her jira user.

It is possible in Jira? Where I can configure this mapping email - username?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2013

Hi Daniel,

of course, this is possible. The reporter is generated automatically, if the sender's email-adress is already registered.

Look here for more information.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2013

Daniel, go with Thomas-S' answer, just make sure that you don't have the same email address in more than more account. If you do, Jira may pick the wrong account which may not have access to the project. This is one use case where the "default" reporter will not work.

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

Thanks!

This is the solution that I was looking for!

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

Jemh is the plugin what you want to look at. It will offer a lot of options for email mapping.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2013

doesn't this work with basic Jira functionality already ?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

it does...but JEMH is way more configurable than jiras internal mail handler.

read the KB article thomas posted and compare with andy's documentation page

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

@Thomas-S, the built in functionality is good for creating a single user account based on incoming email address if that address is not already registered. They are many cases beyond this that won't work, which is where JEMH comes in.

One case JEMH covers include alternateID providers, a way to manipulate how JIRA userIDs get created, if a simple 'email' name is not acceptable/appropriate (like, what happens when the same user changes email provider?).

Another is when, in an LDAP enabled environment, users emails come literally from the same person but via different systems that use different LDAP proxyAddresses. Default handling in JIRA would then create new emails for each unique address. JEMH (in 1.3) can interrogate LDAP to determine a proxyAddress match, and correctly associate the incoming email with the pre-existing user.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2013

Hi Andy,

yes, you're right. But JEMH is not for free. If we would buy it, we would have to pay thousands of dollars. You have to think about, if the functionality of Jira is not enough, if this is worth it for your company. This is just another example for a commercial plugin with functionality, one would expect from Atlassian.

Cheers

Thomas

Suggest an answer