Map Themes, Features and Epics in Jira - how?

Stuart Fawcett May 19, 2015

In Scrum i have

Themes, Features and Epics, Stories  & Tasks

In JIRA I have  Epics, Stories & Tasks

How do i show Themes and Features in Jira, including where a feature may contain several epics?

At the moment i have Themes done with the components field. I'm considering Features with the labels field or another custom field.

What would you recommend?

Many thanks

Stuart

1 answer

1 vote
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2015

Hi Stuart,

Where in JIRA would you like to see your Themes and Features?

You can group Epics in any number of higher levels with our Structure Plugin (here's a blog post about doing just that: Managing JIRA Agile Projects in Structure).

This lets you visualise and manage the Theme-Feature-Epic-Story-Task relationship along with aggregation of times, estimates, progress, etc.

If you need to filter issues by Themes and Features, this can be done using an S-JQL query on a structure containing issues arranged in the TFEST hierarchy (example in the second half of this post).

In JIRA Agile, you'll be able to see the Themes and Features that a story belongs to in the Structure widget in the issue details panel, but there won't be any identifying labels (like the Epic label) on the issues in the boards.

Robert

Suggest an answer