Many projects with 1 issue vs 1 project with many issues

paul vinter September 10, 2013

Hello all.

As a new uesr I have a question about Projects with 1 issue vs multiple issues under one project.

I am creating a workflow management system for a client in which I am creating one issue per department (each department has a unique type of content flow between editors, proofreaders, subeditors etc).

I am confused as to the benefits of one approach vs another i.e. one project per department each with one single issue, or a single project which has all issues therein.

As I understand it I would gain flexibility in notifications if I did this on a per project basis, however would I then lose any advantages with reporting - it appears I would gain more insight when reporting from running many issues under and single project.

I hope that is clear?! I would be interested in administrators opinions on this.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

I actually don't like projects with just a single issue type (I guess you are talking about single issue types here) ...If you need multiple workflows, create multiple issue types and associate them with with the desired workflows.

Notifications are pretty flexible...As you've got different workflows you can work with different events that trigger notifications:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Event

Working with a single project might become tricky if you have to deal with different user groups, different permissions or issue visibility (e.g. dep 1 shouldn't be able to see issues from dep 2 etc.). Even different field values are a problem (field context is not being supported for different issue types in the same project

BTW, feel free to vote on that one :-)

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6851

)

Just my 2 cents ;-9

Cheers Christian

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

Thanks for accepting my answer but I bet others might have another point of view :-) Cheers

Suggest an answer