Many custom fields with same name.

Nandeesh M S April 24, 2014

I have 6 fields with name "Priority" so when i map a one of those field priority to a project and create issue, after that when i search issues through issue navigator of that project i will get created issues and when i wanna configure coloumns if i give priority in search box i am getting option to select one of the five priority.. but i have mapped only one priority to the screen and that screen is mapped to this project. so i should get only one priority feild right..? why i am getting five priority list?? any idea friends ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

This is so, becuse the navigator always lists all available fields on the system when configuring columns. There is no way to know the context in which you want to select columns as in the issue navigator you can see issues from many different projects.

Having custom fields with same name has many "bad" effects in the UI, so try avoiding that (Yes, I know that sometimes this is not easy as there is no way to set a "display name" different from the field name)

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

I don't think there is a solution for that

tnq for ur suggestion Boris.. but see i have 6 fields in name Priority in that only five i can see as a admin and only four as a normal user in issue navigator while configuring coloumns.. any solution to avoid this? i have filtered all issues of one particular project.

but my point is.. see i have 6 priority field.. but i can see only 5 in configuring column as admin and 4 in configuring column as normal user in issue navigator.. why..?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2014

I suspect that depends on their configurations.

I very strongly recommend that you rename the custom fields, otherwise you'll never work this one out. I'd go for something innocuous like adding punctuation to the names. You'll need to do this because my first and second questions are "which priroity is never offered to you, and which one appears when you're an admin and not when you're a user?"

Another thought - does the user already have the priority in the navigator columns? Jira won't offer it again if it's there already.

Girish Jagdale December 20, 2017

Isn't it possible to have a JIRA feature that doesn't allow to create field with same name?

Like # people like this
Denis Hunt June 27, 2018

My org is having a similar problem - we need to be able to easily query against custom fields for given projects. 

Unfortunately trying to somehow make the displayed field name seem unique will not scale for us (we have dozens of projects with unique definitions of some fields like Priority).  So, for now, the person querying needs to know which of the unique cf IDs is the one they need - i.e not a great solution !

Is there any way to somehow explicitly bind a custom field name definition to the project it pertains to ?  Or, to limit which custom fields are visible to a given project member ? 

NB I understand implementing this would possibly require an increase in complexity for Atlassian's schemas and changes to its query language so maybe wishful thinking...

Shawn L July 16, 2020

@Denis HuntYes you can using the custom field context. You can remove the global context of the priority fields, and make that particular version set to a specific project.

1. Priority ("1") - Context: Project ABC - remove global context so it doesn't show to any other project.
  2. Priority ("2") - Context: Project DEF - remove global context.
  3. Priority ("3") etc, etc

Suggest an answer