Mandatory screen upon task completion

Samuel Kaos November 3, 2013

Hi,

I have been playing with Jira for a week now, and my config is nearly finished. Amazing product btw.

One thing I can't seem to find is how to have a screen appear on resolution. At the end of the workflow.

To be more specific, I have on task which type is action, in the end, an action can be resolved in two ways : cancelled or done. In any case, I need to add some mandatory field when the task is completed such as planned date of effective resolution or resolution resume, etc..

First idea is to have a forced popup appear when the task is resolved, but I can't find any way to do that.

Please advice. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2013

The usual way to do this is on the transition.

Let's say you have a workflow that has includes status "in progress" and "done". You define a transition from "in progress" to "done". On that transition, you can add a "screen" that the user will be shown when they use the transition.

You can put whatever fields you like on that screen, and they will be asked to fill them in. It's not a "forced popup", it's just a Jira screen, but the function is all there for you off-the-shelf.

What is missing is the "mandatory fields" part. Jira does not have this functionality as you need it. In Jira, a field is set as mandatory or optional, and if it's mandatory, it's mandatory for the whole lifecycle of the issue - in other words, it has to be filled in when the issue is created and cannot be blanked out at any point.

To get around this, most of us install a plugin that provides "is field filled in" as a "validator" - these are questions you add to the "validation" list for a transition - if a transtion fails a validation test, then the transition halts, and goes back to the transition screen with a message such as "you need to fill in the planned date and resolution summary" if the user doesn't fill them in.

I tend to use the "Jira Suite Utilities", but there are several ones out there providing mandatory field validators

Samuel Kaos November 3, 2013

Thanks :) I will see about validators as I am not sure our environment allows up to add plugins.

Suggest an answer