Managing references for requirements

Daniel Krumlinde Lundvall January 23, 2020

Hi! For a project we're using Jira as a requirement manager, with the plugins R4J and Xporter. It's common that requirements need to reference documents outside of Jira, which I've yet to find a good solution to. Preferably, I would like to automatically generate a reference list when the requirements are exported with Xporter, and then having references to that list in the exported requirements. However I'm thankful for any suggestions.

1 answer

0 votes
Bernhard Doleschel _Ease Solutions_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2020

Hello Daniel,

I could suggest you following approach:

1. create a own issue type for your references, summary is the reference title, description would be the hyperlink to the outside document
  2. create a own issue link to map these references to any kind of other issues (e.g. "references to", "referenced by" - not mandatory, but helpful.
  3. Create your references (could be in own project)
  4. link now your requirements with the new references (you can do this within R4J or directly in Jira navigator)
  5. Setup in XPorter a loop to scan at export for all "references to" link types and linked references (via JQL, see XPorter Academy documentation)

Hope this helps you.

BTW, in R4J you can also create your own Word and Excel exports based on templates.

If you need more help with R4J please raise a request on our services desk.

Suggest an answer