Managing multiples projects and versions which are similar

Marco Bolduc May 5, 2015

We do have several projects (25) where most of them are based on the same projects. Each of them may have multiple versions.

When we find a bug, it's a mess to determine which version is affected by what, and having  to clone a issue 15 times is probably not the right way to go.

What are the best practices for such situation? Thank you!

2 answers

2 votes
Maud Schlich May 5, 2015

You mean you have about 25 projects most of them based on the same *products*? With multiple versions on projects?

Perhaps you should think of a complete redesign of your configuration management smile

At least a component owner should know which bug affects which version, no? Then you always could assign bugs to the component owner who then needs to decide where to clone the bug to so that other projects may also investigate about the impact on their project.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2015

I agree with Maud. If you found a bug on one application, you should know what components and those components should have component leads which would know what version is affected all linked to a single ticket.

0 votes
Marco Bolduc May 6, 2015

Yeah, I know that 25 "different similar" projets could be better but there is some reasons why it is done like this.

In fact, we made our configuration so we have a compile time configuration instead of a run time configuration.

And about JIRA project, I understand that you would put everything in only one project, where this project has several version partialy related. Am I understanding well?

Suggest an answer