Managing groups of people in filters (without administration rights)

marshall_craig December 29, 2015

What is the most efficient way to have multiple filters which filter on the same list of users, but without the need for ongoing global administration access to manage the group?

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2015

I agree with Phill, use project roles whenever possible.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2015

Hi Craig,

At some point someone will have to manage your list to cater for new arrivals, changes of role and departures. So you could be considering how best to handle this.  You presumably have a user management process in place?

A few approaches will work.

1. Define the list of users in the filter query - means the owner of the filter is responsible for updating the list and would be required to edit for each filter on a change.
  2. Use the groups but as you have already seen this requires a global administrator to manage the list.
  3. Use project roles which allows the project lead or anyone with delegated authority the permission to manage the members of a role.

Personally I always recommend 3 as it gives the responsibility for the project to the project lead. Although there are some instances where I revert to 2 where it is a more global membership that needs setting.

Hope this helps.

Phill

Suggest an answer