Managing Waterfall Project in Jira Agile On Deman

Aamer Inam: M-3521 October 12, 2014

Hello,

I want to know best practices to manage water fall project in JIRA Agile. In our scenario some of the projects are being managed using waterfall methodology where development team concludes their development cycle and testing team start testing cycle. Once dev cycle concludes, Dev moves on to the next Dev iteration whereas Testing team is testing the dev cycle1. I would like to know your valuable guideline to manage this in a best possible way.

Regards

Aamer 

5 answers

1 vote
ajey September 14, 2020

Use Kanban to manage Waterfall project. Use milestones as "Fixed Version" to do release management. Kanban also supports backlog so product team can work in backlog and board can show current tasks.

0 votes
Pratap V. Simha November 5, 2018

Don't use Sprints but just use Releases aka Versions and you can support a Waterfall project

0 votes
Aamer Inam: M-3521 October 13, 2014

@Geert Graat For some of the projects we are using scrum approach and for some not. Nature of the project varies from one to another like purely waterfall, iterative or you may call them hybrid. All I want to ask that for waterfall should i create any other type of project while creating a new project so that dev and test teams can use them accordingly like dev teams are always in n+1 cycle and test team cycle is n . dev to move on to the next iteration whereas test team will test the dev n-1 iteration. this is the idea. In Agile I can not run parallel sprint since this feature is in the development lab (correct me if i am wrong). @Nic Brough All I want is to create a project that allows me to define two cycles at one given time in which dev will always be one step ahead to the test team. also is it it possible that something like this can be done in Kanban that dev moves to next iteration, do not close it and proceed to the next cycle whereas test team stick to the old cycle and keep testing ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2014

I agree with Geert here, although I'd phrase it slightly differently - Instead of looking at Jira Agile and asking for "best practices for Agile although we're not Agile", it would be better to look at your process first. It's not a case of using Agile because you can, I think you need to think about what you need from your users, and what you can do to help them, and if Agile has some functions that you *might* find useful, use them. I can't really give you much in the way of "best practices" because I simply don't know your processes. From what you have said, I'd use versions to represent cycles, build a workflow that has both Dev and Test phases in it (and I note you say "iteration", which implies you're already moving away from waterfall anyway), and then maybe use a Kanban board for a quick overview and prioritisation.

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2014

Are there specific elements of JIRA Agile that you want to use? In my opinion a lot of companies use JIRA Agile (or simply "do scrum") and still end up doing a lot of things the waterfall way, so I think it is good that you recognize that you are doing things waterfall. But then the question rises: why do you want to use JIRA Agile?

Suggest an answer