Managing SLAs in JIRA Software (Cloud)

Allen Lai February 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Setting up SLAs

There doesn't seem to be a way to define SLA times for each priority level and therefore, create workflows to ensure issues are resolved. A few questions:

1. Are there creative ways/solutions to accomplish this using the existing fields, features, etc.?
  2. Does Atlassian have this in their roadmap for JIRA Software (Cloud)?

For example, I'd like to define SLAs for each priority level. As an example:

P1 = 1 hour
P2 = 2 hours
P3 = 24 hours
P4 = 72 hours

When an issue (bug or task) breaches an SLA, I'd like a reminder email sent to the assignee. If the issue remains in breach after X hours, an email notification is sent to the assignee, project lead, and external email address (e.g. escalations@acme.pagerduty.com).

If the assignee changes the status (e.g. from "Needs Triage" to "In Progress"), the SLA timer resets each time the status changes. If the SLA is breached at any status, the same reminder email(s) are sent until the issue is resolved (status = done).

Thanks!

4 answers

4 votes
Allen Lai February 27, 2019

Any updates from Atlassian? It's been 3 years and still no progress.

Heather Connally March 7, 2019

I wish I could upvote this a million times over. 3 years, just silence. 

I saw on another board the answer is to migrate to JIRA Server. Isn't that essentially going backwards? Seems like Atlassian promotes Cloud as "latest and greatest" yet here we are waiting for basic functionality or a proper add on. 

Like SarahRousan likes this
Greg Bakken March 7, 2019

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to achieve this in Cloud?  Similar to Heather, we cannot migrate to the server version.

Julia Denys July 20, 2019

Hello,

With the add-on SLA Time and Report, you can easily create and track your SLAs for issues in Jira Cloud.

Also, you can set SLA timer value and statuses when countdown should be turned on/off according to your issues workflow, projects, and priorities.

What's also important, you can use private or shared filters to generate SLA reports and later export this data as XLSX or CSV file and use external tools like Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheet to process the extracted information.

Hope, this add-on will help you to handle SLAs in Jira Cloud.

Best regards,
Julia
SaaSJet

1 vote
Julia Denys _SaaSJet_ September 2, 2019

Hi everybody,

The add-on SLA Time and Report works in Jira CLOUD!

There you can reate a report that will show you SLA elapsed time directly in the application. Set SLA timer properties and when it should be turned on/off according to your configurations.

0 votes
Maxime Doucet June 20, 2019

The only way that i found is to do it in SQL

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2016

Hi Allen,

Almost everything that you mentioned is covered in Time to SLA Plugin.

You can define as many SLAs as you want according to priority or even you can use JQL for SLA definitions.

There is SLA notifier which notifies users (assignee, reporter, or you can set emails) when the SLA arrives time that you set (e.g. 2h before SLA Target date). You can also use your email template. 

There is an SLA Reset workflow postfunction that you can reset SLA within any transition. Also there is SLA Reset rest service so that you can reset SLA any time outside JIRA.

Tuncay Senturk

Allen Lai February 2, 2016

@Tuncay Senturk [Snapbytes] thanks for the reply. Unfortunately (for us), we're using JIRA Software (Cloud), so these add-ons won't work for us. Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Allen

Like # people like this
Tonya Lafontaine January 24, 2017

I have the same question and need to add SLA to our workflow. Allen Lai, did you find a solution? We are also using JIRA Software (Cloud).

Davina Tsosie March 13, 2017

I too am seeking a SLA solution for JIRA Cloud. Tonya/Allen, were you able to get a response?

Joel Andrews May 1, 2017

I am as well, so far it's been silence.  With more projects/companies deciding to use their platform, you think that would be taken into consideration?

Tonya Lafontaine November 8, 2017

I need an SLA solution for JIRA Software CLOUD! HELP!!! This was posted 2 years ago, there has to be a solution by now???!!!

Joey Fiege August 28, 2018

This question is still relevant for a lot of users. Could somone from Atlassian reply?

Joey - Valtech

Greg Bakken September 26, 2018

Adding another vote for this for Cloud.  How do we get help for setting this up for regular Jira, not Jira Service Desk?

Jimmy Fleming February 27, 2019

Me too!

vikramkv February 27, 2019

Please help in providing this feature plugin at the earliest. It will be very much useful.

Joey Fiege March 8, 2019

I do not think Atlassian will add this to Jira, as it is part of Jira Service Desk.

For now, using the Service Desk plugin seems like the only solution.

Vasco Nunes June 14, 2019

@Joey Fiege could you please post a link for the plugin you are talking about? thank you!

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2019
Vasco Nunes June 14, 2019

Ah, I thought you were talking about an add-on @Joey Fiege . I'm porting jira-core server to cloud. I used Time to SLA's add-on on the server. Now I can't seem to find a proper way to have the same functionalities on the imported project. 
How could the jira service desk application help? 

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2019

It won't help the same way as Time to SLA.

Time to SLA app might support Jira cloud in the meantime, but it won't be soon.

Sorry

Suggest an answer