Management Board

Bernardo San Juan April 2, 2015

Hi all,

We are trying to to create a management board (Kanban view) that gives a realistic bird's eye view of what is going on in our company. 

Our JIRA instance is used by all our company departments (Marketing, Sales, Development, Management and so on) most of the departments have their on JIRA projects with their own tasks (different issue types). 

When we bundle different tasks from different projects (departments marketing, sales, development....)  that relate to on same initiative we use epics that we then display on a management board. This epics kind of serve the case of this bird's eye view. We can click on them and see what issues are linked to them. But this has some limitations and this is why I want to ask for suggestions.

• Is there a way to create an issue type that serves as a container of epics from different projects (something like a theme issue type) that can then be displayed in a Kanban board  and get reports of it?

• Could you give me some idea of how to serve this necessity (To have a management bird's eye view represented by high level themes on a board and by clicking on these themes you can go into a lower and lower level detail

Link's to documentation and or webinars that tackle this topic will be very welcome.

Cheers!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bernhard Gruenewaldt April 2, 2015

We had the need for excact the same board in a company I was working and we did the following:

1. create a project called "project-birdview"
  2. Create a simple kanbanworkflow or use existing "Todo, In Progress, Doing, Payment, Delivered" or else
  3. Make this project globally accessable by all users/projects
  4. Use normal Tasks inside project-birdview and link to your projects'-epics via relates to
  5. then create a kanbanboard for project-birdview which gives you the status
  6. If you click on a task from the board you can see all linked epics with their status

That has done the trick for us but if you want something more special you will have to think of something else.

Bernardo San Juan April 2, 2015

Hi Bernhard, I think I am going to use your solution as it serves the case and the best this is that it is simple. Nevertheless, I would love to hear from Atlassian if they have something for this case, as I believe that many users face this challenge when organizing their ongoing projects. Maybe they have something in progress, something like a board of boards or something like it. Meanwhile I will use your solution. Many thanks for your help! Best regards

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2015

We use the Structure plugin for high-level view. It's a more compact view than a Kanban (more issues on screen), and also looks great exported to Excel. Since issues can be nested inside any type of issue, any issue type can serve as a container and sum up the estimates and logged work. 

Pros: 

• Multilevel hierarchy across multiple projects
  • Can be turned On/Off per project
  • Issues can be part of multiple structures with different organizing rules
  • Synced filters can automatically nest issues based on relationships (e.g blockers nested in the issues they block)

Cons:

• Configuration needs good knowledge of JQL and JIRA, above the typical manager's level
  • A bit pricy for the bigger user tiers

It takes some getting used to, but Structure is a very powerful tool, especially for complex deliveries.

Suggest an answer