Manage Watchers - Applied Project Roles, Members, and Permission Scheme

Kelly Meehan July 21, 2016

I'm rather perplexed and having issues trying to apply the "Manage Watchers" permission for a specific permission scheme and project role/members applied to numerous projects.

Use Case: As a Professional services project admin and default member of the new Project Role: PS Project Admins, I need to be able to add and remove Watchers to Issues in my JIRA Projects.

Current Config:(Atlassian Cloud / Jira)

• Existing Projects A, B, C
  • New Project Role Created (under "System"): PS Project Admins
  • Default Members added to PS Project Admins: Sally, Maria, Baze (these users are NOT JIRA Admins and should not be)
  • Default Permission Scheme applied to projects A, B, C
  • Default Permission Scheme and "Manage Watchers" permission updated to include Project Role: PS Project Admins

Expected Results:

• As a member of PS Project Admins, Sally should be able to update any issue to add/remove Watchers in her PS Projects A, B
  • As a member of PS Project Admins, Baze should be able to update any issue to add/remove Watchers in his Project C

Actual Results

• None of the default members in the PS Project Admins project role can add/remove users to any issue in any of their projects
  • When Permission Helper is used, it says these users need to be added to the Project Roles: Administrators, PS Project Admins

Questions:

• If specified in a permission scheme (Default Permission Scheme) that is applied to numerous projects (A, B, C), should a new project role (PS Project Admins) + default members (Sally, Maria, Baze) with Manage Watchers permission get applied to all existing projects with that permission scheme applied?
  • Why can I not see the Project Role: PS Project Admins in the "Users and Roles" lists on Projects A, B, C, but I can see "PS Project Admins" applied to the "Manage Watchers" permission in each Project A, B, C?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

Your permission scheme looks fine, but I think there's a misunderstanding here:

>Default Members added to PS Project Admins

The users you add there are added by default to a role when you create a new project.  They are not retrospectively added to existing projects.  For existing projects, you need to go add the users you need in the role.

Kelly Meehan July 21, 2016

Many thanks! I incorrectly assumed 'default members' meant for newly created projects as well as when you assign that Project Role anew to a permission scheme or permission, defaulting to those members defined in the project role..  

I also just realized the reason I couldn't see the Project Role in the Users and Roles list in any of the projects is because JIRA only displays Roles on the page "if" they have users assigned to them.

Suggest an answer