Manage Sprints permission - Question

kumar sam October 20, 2017

Hi

I am getting this message when I try to close sprint. 

You need the Manage Sprints permission for all projects in the origin board to manage this sprint.

I have Sprint manager and lead roles in the project.

Permission scheme that this project uses is shared by many projects and I am not lead for other projects.

Can you please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Using Jira 7.1

Thanks

Kumar

2 answers

3 votes
steve whittle March 15, 2018

I am a newbie to using JIRA and created 3 different Kanban boards while experimenting - trying to come up with the final one our team would use. Two weeks into our first sprint, I also became victim to the greyed out "Create sprint" button when I wanted to close it and start sprint 2. My case is likely not the usual root cause but was interesting to resolve none-the-less.

Confused as to why I could not close sprint 1, I double-checked to make sure that all tasks and (especially) subtasks were either complete or otherwise removed from the sprint - and double-checked my permissions as well as the query behind my Kanban board. All was fine and I was stumped - so I made another user an administrator, project admin etc. and sure enough he was able to see the active "Close sprint" button on our Kanban board.  That was weird.

After a few minutes of reflection - I remembered that I still had some old draft boards (ones I hadn't shared with the rest of the project members since I was just using them to evolve to my final board) which used the same task issue data.

Since I didn't need these draft boards any more (and reasoning that they could potentially be driven by initial queries that may no longer be valid), rather than looking at them to see if they were creating a conflict behind the scenes that made it appear that my main board was defective and would not let me advance to the second sprint - I simply deleted the test boards. Presto - the "Close sprint" button became active on my main board.

So I am guessing that the reason the other user was able to close the sprint (once I empowered him) was likely because I had not made the test boards available to him as I tinkered to come up with the final board - i.e. he would not have encountered the same type of query conflict across boards using the same data since he only had access to the main final board.

That said, it seems that it did generally relate to a Kanban board query - but in this case it was a little trickier than trying to find out what was wrong with my main board - since it related to a forgotten board with an outdated "now invalid" query that was quietly affecting my capability to properly use my current board.

0 votes
Jeremy Sanchez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2017

Hi Kumar,

This situation looks to be similar to the following KB:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unable-to-manage-sprint-due-to-missing-project-administrator-permissions-779159087.html

There are a few reasons why this could happen though:

- You may not have *Manage Sprint* permissions for all projects in the Board filter.

- The Board Filter may have something in the JQL query it uses preventing you from closing the sprint.

Here is a similar community post that provides some additional insight as well:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-can-t-I-complete-a-Sprint-when-I-have-the-Manage-Sprints/qaq-p/63312 

Aymen Maamri June 22, 2020

hello,

i'm currently working on a Jira plugin,i have a little problem,i'm trying to create a permission scheme via REST,but i could not set the Manage Sprints permission,the documentation doesn't state it as a permission also in the scheme.i'm thankful for any help.

best regards.

Suggest an answer