Manage JIRA Project Release Versions in Kanban GreenHopper

johndpatton October 21, 2012

I am trying to maintain "Versions" for my Kanban (GreenHopper Simplified Workflow) project.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Create Version in a project... "1.0 Sprint 1"
2. Create Issues and assign (fixVersion="1.0 Sprint 1") and transition issues in Rapid Board to done
3. when done hit "Release" on Rapid Board
- it says "A version with this name already exists in this project."

As far as I can see I would need to delete "1.0 Sprint 1" release to release "1.0 Sprint 1"? I must have missed a documentation bullet point someplace - that can't be the right flow. That you cannot define a release until you release it? How would the road map ever work in this case?

The reason I am doing it this way is I need to maintain a Road Map/Calendar for my project showing the status of the issues in multiple upcoming releases in the project.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2012

Hi John,

This may seem odd but in fact, you cannot release an existing version from a Kanban board. When you click "Release", a new version will be created and released. I know it may be counter-intuitive (especially as other workflows in Jira allow you to work in different ways), but it derives from the agile methodology.

As a workaround, I would suggest utilising the fact that issues can have more than one Fix Version value. Keep "1.0 Sprint 1", but when finishing the sprint, add a new version name. Both versions will be assigned to all released issues.

Hope this helps!

johndpatton October 22, 2012

Thank you - I'm sure that would work - If I understand correctly:
I would have to "release" the "1.0 Sprint 1" and a "1.0 Sprint 1a" and then merge them back together in the Projects:Versions:Administration page?

0 votes
Matt L March 19, 2013

I am having an issue following on from this. It seems as though issues are still showing in my Kanban board even though they have 1+ versions associated with them.

I am not able to find a way to remove completed issues from the board by manually giving them versions, or forcing them to be released.

Suggest an answer