Making the field non-editable for few users

Rahul Arora June 18, 2014

Can we make custom field during issue creation non-editable for some of the user on the basis of Project role condition as I believe there is no option to hide the particular field.

2 answers

0 votes

Do you mean that it is not necessary to specify it under workflow action and can just saved the issue once created (With the screen where specific Custom field is not present)? .

If yes, will it show some default value on screen later on which can be edited by few users on the basis of Project role Conditions?

All the above, I would like to understand the role of Workflow transition to make the fied "Protected"?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2014

No. This is pretty much the same as your earlier question about field security.

You CAN do this by moving edit into the workflow, but that workaround doesn't apply to the create transition. I could explain more if it might be useful, but it would only help you if you are willing to accept that the field would not be entered on create, just become available to the power-users after create?

yes but if I go with workaround for edit transition too.I would then use a workflow action to basically specify the value, correct? Then same value will be appear in the issue and can be edited by few users, correct?

yes but if I go with workaround for edit transition too.I would then use a workflow action to basically specify the value, correct? Then same value will be appear in the issue and can be edited by few users, correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2014

You could set it with a post-function on create-issue if you wanted to, yes.

After creation, it'll appear on-screen for everyone, but not on edit screens for anyone. You then protect the edit of the field with conditions in the workflow.

Do you mean that it is not necessary to specify it under workflow action and can just saved the issue once created (With the screen where specific Custom field is not present)? .

If yes, will it show some default value on screen later on which can be edited by few users on the basis of Project role Conditions?

All the above, I would like to understand the role of Workflow transition to make the fied "Protected"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2014

Sorry, your first paragraph makes no sense to me, which makes the second a bit hard to answer as well

The trick with the workflow is simple - don't put the field on create or edit screens. Only put it on view and a transition screen. Then protect the transitions you want to change it on with conditions.

Rahul Arora June 19, 2014

Last part of your statement helps me to comprehend. Thanks!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2014

Ah good, I wasn't sure it made much sense, as I'm not sure of the question, but if it does, great!

Suggest an answer