Making automatic transition between kanban boards

sheikh-spear February 23, 2021

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on a project that involves a "Master Kanban", containing 3 columns (Step1,  Step2, Step3) and 3 "Small Kanban" each of them is also containing 3 columns (Beginning, Doing, Ending).

Each of the "Small Kanban" represents a column of the "Master Kanban".

My question is the following:

How can I make it so that when I put a ticket in the last column of a "Small Kanban" it is automatically moved to the first column of the next "Small Kanban"

For example: if I put a ticket to Step1->Ending, it should automatically move to           Step2->Beginning

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Issues do not "move between boards", the boards are a view of issues, not containers (like projects are)

What you'll need to do is configure the views of the boards such that the data they use to determine both board and column matches what you're trying to do.

Assuming you've got your boards set up, let's look at board 1 and board 2 (your small kanbans).  Let's say board 1 has columns for New, In progress, and Done.  Board 2 has columns for Open, Doing, Closed.

The status of the issue is what determines the columns.  In the case here, it looks like your workflow has six status, but actually, it does not, there are only five.  New -> In Progress -> Done (board 1) = Open (board 2) which we'll call "Ready" for now -> Doing -> Closed

So small kanban 1 needs a filter that says "and status in (New, In Progress, Ready)", and the last column mapped to Ready.

Small kanban 2 then has "and status in (Ready, Doing, Closed)" with its first column mapped to Ready

sheikh-spear February 23, 2021

Again, thank you for your answer !

Suggest an answer