Making a custom field show up only on the issue page (and nowhere else)

Eric Kaiser August 17, 2014

I have a field that's filled automatically by a script, and all a user should be able to do is view its value on the issue page.

How can I get it to be visible there, but not on any screen (such as "create issue")? From what I can tell, having a field visible on the issue page requires it to also be visible on the "default screen".

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2014

Jira uses "screens" to select what fields appear for various actions on issues. Create, Edit, View and all the transitions in workflows can use them.

Sounds like you need a screen which has the field, plus another which does NOT. You'd want the first screen for "view" and the other screen for create and edit (although if it's a read-only field, it won't appear on create or edit anyway)

Have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens - you're not too worried about field config or workflow, it's the screens and screen schemes you need to work through

Eric Kaiser August 17, 2014

Ah, that page made things a bit clearer. Once I realized I could have multiple screens per scheme, I was able to get it to work by doing what you suggested. Thank you!

Suggest an answer