Making a custom field mandatory in Jira

Magnus Jensen September 17, 2012

Hi,

How/Where can I say that my newly added custom field should be mandatory? I have searched under administartion in Jira but cannot find it.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

just go to the admin section and hit "Issues" -> "Fields" and then on the right "Field Configurations". This is your place to go.

You may want to create a seperate field configuration scheme for ach "set" of configurations. Otherwise the newly created field will be mandatory in all pojects (even if it is not on a screen!) which may be annoying.

To jave a field madatory only on a single Screen (e.G. in a workflow) you could check out the Plugin "JIRA Suite utilities", which btw is excellent :)

David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

allways glad to help, you're welcome :)

Magnus Jensen September 17, 2012

Thanx David!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2012

It's covered in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Note that a mandatory field is mandatory throughout the lifecycle of an issue.

You can add "validators" to workflows that will demand the users fill in fields before progressing through a transition, but you need plugins to provide these (the off-the-shelf plugins don't provide "require field")

Suggest an answer