Make time spent mandatory for group of developers

Maksym Kalyta September 21, 2014

Hi all,

In our workflow (JIRA 6.3.3), we would to ensure that when a developer resolves the issue, he logs Time Spent. However, since partners also can resolve issues, they are not obliged to record time. So, we would like to add validation like this:

If user in group <developers> then Time Spent cannot be null at Resolve action.

We tried JIRA Behaviors plugin, but it looks like cannot deal with Time Spent field.

What is the best way (Ideally if one can provide an example) to implement this check?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2014

I'd use the script runner to write a "validator" - it should be easy to pick out the current user's group (or role?  Roles are better and easier to use than groups) and whether their update includes Time Spent data.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2014

You can have 2 resolve transitions, one visible only to "developers" and another visible only to "partners".

On the "Resolve" transition visible to developers, you can use a workflow validator to make sure "timeSpent" is not empty.

0 votes
Antonio Duarte September 21, 2014

You can use the "Field has been modified" validator or the "Field is Required Validator" validator, or both.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2014

Um, that only gets part of the requirement (what about the type of user?), and can't handle "Time Spent" anyway.

Antonio Duarte September 21, 2014

Ooops! You are right, Nic. I didn't notice this detail! These validators worked fine on my workflows, but I hadn't the user restriction.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2014

We've all jumped down the wrong bunny hole at times ;-)

Suggest an answer