Make fields appear to be edit

Ekaterina Smykova February 23, 2021

Hi! 

Situation: we have workflow open -> in progress -> validate -> owned -> closed (example). 

when we move to Validate, some fields have to appear/open to be able to edit them, but on Open/In Progress it has to be hidden. But not as a pop-up window.

Tried with workflow properties, but then it blocks from editing at all. 

Is there any suggestions how to make it possible? 

Regards,

Katja

5 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Hey @Ekaterina Smykova ,

Well since you don't want it to happen on a popup screen I think you'll have to go for an addon as it's not possible out of the box.

One thing that comes to mind for me is to use Behaviours with Adaptavist Scriptrunner. This basically allows you to hide/show fields based on requirements/other values on the form. It will allow you to hide the fields in edit screens dynamically and just not put them on the view screen.

Another one might be proforma https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215833/proforma-forms-checklist-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview which allows you to build dynamic forms.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ekaterina Smykova February 24, 2021

Thanks a lot to all! But found a solution with using Conditions in ScriptRunner-Behaviors :) 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

So like I suggested ;-) Great!

Like Ekaterina Smykova likes this
Ekaterina Smykova February 25, 2021

@Dirk Ronsmans yeah, just after submitting the request, solution pope up in mind :) 

Thanks a lot! :) 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2021

I am not very clear on the question, so I will write a little bit about what I am thinking and ask if I am going in the right direction and for more explanation of the question.

When you move from status to status, you do it by going through a transition.  Transitions can have a "screen" attached to them, and you can use different screens in different transitions (or none at all for an instant transition).  These screens are no more than a collection of fields that are  put in front of the user for edit when they use a transition.

So, I think the answer here might be "use a different screen for open -> in progress, and only put the fields you want to let the user edit on it"

0 votes
Burak Kaya February 23, 2021

Hi Ekaterina,

It is not possible in OOTB version. View screen can not be configured in order to status of the issue.

As you mentioned on your description, to be able to edit an field in some status, a transition should be added to workflow and associate with a screen that includes the related fields, so the people are able to edit the fields via a transition & screen.

Otherwise, you should do a research for a plugin in marketplace.

Thanks,
Burak

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2021

Hi @Ekaterina Smykova 

You will have to add transition screen to the status change transition and add the required fields to that screen.

With that configuration, the given screen with the fields will pop up when the status change is attempted

Refer to https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/map-a-screen-to-a-workflow-transition-in-jira-server-720634253.html for instructions

Update: Oops! I missed the "not as a pop up window" in your question..

You can remove the fields from the edit screens and keep them only in the appropriate transition screens? That would make the field editable only during the status changes

Suggest an answer