Make field read-only after certain event (Prevent "Original Estimate" from being altered?)

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

Hi, gang. I'm an on-demand user and need to know how others deal with this please. I'd have plenty of options it seems with plugins, but I am not allowed to integrate with any of them.

Once work begins on an issue, the "Original Estimate" value should be locked, preventing someone from updating it each time they feel like it. The idea of course is to get an estimate and sum work logged and time remaining and reflect on this past data.........How do you folks deal with this, aside from telling people NOT TO TOUCH that field.

It would be nice to make the "Original Estimate" field read-only once the first work log (time is logged to the issue) is created on an issue. Prior to this, it is reasonable to expect the person to update the original estimate prior to officially beginning the task. I've considered using a separate screen for 'edit' that would hide this value, but that does not seem usable since I want folks to be able to edit the field up until that point when a work log has been posted to the issue. Thoughts, friends?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

Hi,

To prevent this change you have to check "Legacy Mode".

Please take a look into this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Time+Tracking#ConfiguringTimeTracking-legacymode

Cheers,

Lucas Lima

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

One word, Wow. Amazing the features I continue to find. Thanks, Lucas. Works well, too.

Suggest an answer