Make field mandatory on transition

ILY December 12, 2017

Is it possible to make fields mandatory on transition and add * in front of them ?

3 answers

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Yes. The Jira Misc Workflow Extensions App has a validator that will check if fields are empty, changed, etc. It can't make the red asterisk, but provides the functionality you are after.

1 vote
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

@ILY

It is possible to make the fields mandatory on a Transition. This is native functionality, in Jira Cloud. You can use the Validators on the workflow Transition. 

In the Field Configuration, when you make a field mandatory, it will add a red * on the field, in the create and edit screens.

mandatory field..PNG

But as far as I know, it won't mark a mandatory field set on a Transition.  You just get an error stating that the field is mandatory when trying to transition the issue.

ILY December 13, 2017

Yes Exactly i doesn't mark the field i just get an error 

Cheri Hansen May 3, 2023

just to add....you have the ability to specifty the error message to be sent.

0 votes
Ethan Foulkes December 17, 2017

Hi ILY,

You can do this using the Power Scripts add-on, which can also do countless other things you will likely want to do with Jira. The only thing it won't do is add the * but you can have it give a custom error message.

Here is a video tutorial walking you through How to require attachments. 

Here is a page that has code for a number of different validators.

I hope this helps!

Suggest an answer