Make changes on an existing JIRA instalation

Jorge Ara March 6, 2014

Hi, I ve worked with JIRA 2 years ago. I made an implementation for a client starting from zero, developing a full project to process their issues, but I ve never made modifications in an existing JIRA instalation.

Now there is another client that has a project completely implemented and working with thousands of issues. They want to do a revision of the project implementation changing the way is made it in many aspects, an here is my question:

While I am working in this changes, the system must be inoperative for the users? I mean, some changes affects the way the issues are assigned and so many other changes, so if I am touching it, I guess the system has to be "stopped" for the user interaction.

Or is there any way to export the project (just the structure, not the issue data), make the changes in a test environment, and finally upload and integrate the changes with the existing issue data? (this final step obviously will need the users stop their activity in the mean time of the upload process, but just this step, not the others)

Thanks in advance

3 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2014

Hi Jorge,

Since the Botron tool doesn't work with your version of JIRA, thus I would suggest you to make your structureal changes first of test and then on prod only when the load is less, and do inform your users about the workflow changes as the workflow changes has an direct impact on the rapid boards/task boards so that the users can update their columns to match the new workflow.

Also be careful while migrating IssueType scheme as you can loose custom field data if don't properly done.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36801

0 votes
Jorge Ara March 6, 2014

Thank you so much for the info. I've checked the botron config management tool that you recommended, but unfortunately doesn t work with my JIRA version (I forgot to say that is an 4.4.3 version)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2014

No, you don't need to stop anything while you make changes. The worst case you'll get is if you change a workflow or permission that blocks something a user was in the middle of when you make the change.

However, if you're making lots of structural changes, then yes, work in a test system to make sure they all hang together.

There's no easy way of moving configurations between systems though - you'll need to think about that, and maybe look up the Botron config management tool for Jira which is designed for this sort of thing (and versioning changes too!)

Suggest an answer