Make a field required ONLY when Closing/Resolving the issue

Dinny February 11, 2014

In the documentation for Jira it says:

(info) Please note:

• Fields that are hidden cannot be set to required.
  • If you make a fieldRequired, ensure that the field is present on yourCreate Issue screen(s).

Does this mean that we cannot make a field requierd to fill in when only we close or resolve the issue? We do not want this field to be mandatory when we create an issue in that project.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2014

Correct. Jira's mandatory fields are mandatory throughout the lifecycle of an issue.

One of the very earliest plugins I've ever seen was written to provide a "validator" that fixes this problem. You put a validator on a transition to check that certain things are done before allowing the transition to run. You can probably guess that the plugin I saw was "check that a field has been filled in".

There are several implementations of this. I tend to use the one in the Jira Suite Utilities

Dinny February 11, 2014

Thanks for the tip!

I will absolutely try this on :)

Dinny February 12, 2014

Unfortunately this does not seem to work for us :/

Even though we have added the Validator that as the Requiered field, it does not seem to be requiered at all.

Dinny February 12, 2014

Never mind, found one "Close Issue" step in the workflow that didnt have that validator :)

Tara Asch March 25, 2016

How can I find out the status of this: (I don't want to use a validator)

• Be aware that there is a feature request (JRA-5783) to make a field required for only one transition. If you are interested, please watch that issue for status updates.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2016

Why don't you want to use the one method that is explicitly designed for handling this case?

Suggest an answer