Make REST call into SFDC

Juno Guy November 14, 2017

Apologies up front for what seems like a basic question....

I have what seems like a pretty generic need but having a very minimal developer background I am struggling to understand (but willing to take a shot) where in my instance of JIRA Cloud do I start?  I don't want to use a 3rd party connector for this as it seems to be an overkill and costly for what seems like a "basic" thing.  

I want to sync over from our instance of JIRA Cloud to SFDC via REST the value of 1 field in each issue/ticket into a specific custom object within our prod SFDC.  The trigger from JIRA to SFDC should be based upon the JIRA status field once it has been changed to "Close".    

I can make REST calls into JIRA not problem but not sure how to get our instance to POST a value based on a condition into SFDC.    

Does anyone have a pointer and sample?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2017

Hello,

I guess you need to use Webhooks. Webhooks are user-defined HTTP POST callbacks. You can define events in Jira on which a webhook will be triggered. You can add a post function, which will trigger a webhook, to a transition if you need the webhook to be triggered on a specific transition. In the webhook you can pass parameters to the external receiver. If these parameters are not enough, you could pass an issue id and the external receiver would make a call to Jira to get all the required parameters for the issue.

You can read more about webhooks here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-webhooks-867028229.html

and here

https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/webhooks

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2017

And if you wonder what your external receiver is: This is some REST endpoint you would have to create yourself which does your POST into SFDC.

I'd recommend using sth like AWS Lambda for this. There you don't have to maintain a server, you simply can enter your code and make it accessible via a REST endpoint (API Gateway).

Suggest an answer