Make Jira Listeners Asynchronous

Hi All,

Is there any way that we can make listners async? I found https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/async-events-tutorial and just wanted to check whether any other way.

Thanks,

Ishan

3 answers

@AsynchronousPreferred mentioned in the tutorial is probably your best choice. I don't see any reasons not to use it, it's very simple. As mentioned in this answer if you have an originally synchronous event, you can then re-publish it via EventPublisher creating your own Asynchronous Event.

Aren't JIRA listeners already asynchronous? Anyway, you can always create a new execution thread and let it do the rest of the work to avoid blocking the caller of your listener handler.

New execution thread will be spawned by your own code instead of re-using JIRA's ThreadPool. More code, more bugs (e.g. memory leaks because of unstopped threads).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,399 views 15 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you