Maintaining estimates (story points) as the jira cards move across sprints

Vijay Manohar November 11, 2019

Hey Guys,

1. We have 2 week sprints going on in our organization. We estimate (story points) every card for the sprint. Right now, we do have some volatility in the work and some unplanned priority card come in between the sprint pushing or delaying the planned cards in the sprint. So as a result, the developer might finish the work half way through. These half finished is pushed to the upcoming sprint and re-estimated again. So  like a month later , for reporting and project metrics, when I try to filter an epic consisting of many stories - the estimate reflected in the cards are the modified ones giving me wrong impression of the work accomplished since most of the cards were re-estimated (reduced) moving from sprint to sprint.

I would like to keep the original estimate for the cards and also move the cards across sprints, but I will need to re-estimate becoz the developer might have accomplished some work. Can I have 2 different fields for estimates - one with original and one with reducing current estimates ? How to solve for this

-VM

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2019

*taps forehead* You don't have to track the original estimate if you dont re-estimate

On a serious note you can add a custom field for "original story points" and populate it when you carryover stories across sprints.

I wouldn't advise re-estimating though.  What are you trying to accomplish with your estimates?

Vijay Manohar November 11, 2019

1. Agree to the response that I don't need to track the estimate if I dont re-estimate. That wasn't a problem

What are you trying to accomplish with your estimates?

2. As I had mentioned, when unfinished cards moved from one sprint to the next, the estimates are reduced to reflect the amount of work accomplished and the re-estimate reflects the work pending. 

Although you might have given a solution. Add a Custom field. Thank you 

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2019

If you're trying to measure the work remaining and burn it down, look into the time tracking feature and estimate in hours.  it comes with some automation for handling the original vs remaining for you as well as gives you some reports that can be leveraged off of it.

Suggest an answer