Mail handler not creating all Tickets

Duncan DAVIES June 14, 2012

Hi All,

I have a bit of a puzzler with the way the Mail Handler works (i'm using JEMH on JIRA 4.4.4). 99% of the time it is great and works as expected. The problem is occuring when an email is getting sent that also refers to another JIRA project.

For Example. We have 2 projects - SUPPORT and DEV. If an email is sent to the SUPPORT mailbox with the subject "Need new VM, see DEV-100 for details", the ticket will not be created, seemingly because of the reference to the DEV project. What is the reason behind this? Is it a setting I have chosen mistakenly? The Mailbox should only create tickets for the SUPPORT project, so I would of thought it would ignore the DEV link. It would be fantastic if it created the ticket AND linked it to the DEV-100 ticket, but thats undeeded at this stage, just ticket creation to start with!

Sorry if that was unclear

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2012

Hi Duncan,

The default behaviour for Create or Comment handlers is to scan the subject for an issue key, this is done by regular expression, hence why DEV-100 'becomes' the issue to comment on, or at least, how JEMH does it.

A solution to this would be to provide a user configurable regexp for the key, such that for example 'JIRA (ABC-123)' would not be mistaken for 'See DEV-100 for details'. There is going to nothing I can do for 4.4 though, you'll have to do a little bit of tidy up under those situations...

Prompted by this, I'm just externalising the default regexp in 1.2.x. I like the idea of auto linking on 'mentioned' issue keys without having to use directives, I'll post a FR.

Duncan DAVIES June 17, 2012

Thanks Andy, I thought this was the case, just wanted to confirm. Feel free to use the idea, I hadnt even considered it before I was writing up the question, and would be a rather cool feature to have

Suggest an answer