Mail error: AuthenticationFailedException: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)

Neta Ilany January 21, 2019

Hi, 

Does anyone know how to resolve the above error?

Background:

We have defined our jira@company. com as the main global email for jira issues.
This address is used to re-directs incoming e-mails to our support groups.

example: IT_support@company.com is an alias of jira@company.com; once an e-mail is sent to IT_support --> it is labeled as "IT" in jira@company.com and a task is created automatically on "IT Support" board.

A few days ago, this process just stopped working, and tasks are not being created. we've been getting an authentication error as described above.

To make sure it is indeed credentials issue, we've set up a temp e-mail, defined it in the "Incoming mail" and the temp mail redirects successfully.

So, we reset the password to jira@company.com, but e-mails are not coming in to JIRA and we still get the same error.

We were able to log in to the jira@company.com inbox and see all emails sent by user are in the inbox, but the labeling process that is supposed to file them - fails.

We've also verified that the "2 steps verification" is off.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Josh loe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Neta,

Google might be blocking it.  Check this out AuthenticationFailedException when connecting to Gmail as SMTP server.

-Josh Loe

Neta Ilany January 21, 2019

Thanks, but we double checked that the 2-Step Verification for our account is turned off.

Any other suggestions?

Josh loe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Did you check that less secure applications was turned off https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

Do you see login attempts from JIRA on your Gmail login attempts screen?

Are you using the full user name as the login username?

I'm more leaning towards GMail blocking the login due to the above article/settings, but it's hard diagnose without having all of your info.  Which obviously is not advised lol.

Josh

Thomas August 17, 2020

Hello @Josh loe , I'm digging the same issue as @Neta Ilany .

I have a GSuite account, which has 2FA activated, and an application password has been created, but I still encounter the error message from above.

I tried login in through Gmail and Other in the Email settings panel. Both gave me errors with credentials, which I triple checked and they are corrects.
We can login on any other device, but Jira keeps giving errors.

If you have anything else that we could try, I would be greatful.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Aromal Rajagopal May 20, 2021

I could solve by allowing less secure app for the specific email account in question. It worked well.

Suggest an answer