Mac and Jira

swapna kasturi January 29, 2013

Hi,

Is it worthwhile to use Jira if we use MAC os as our primary OS in our dev team?

2 answers

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

I run a JIRA and Confluence server side on my mac. Works fine. As Matthew said though, it is not supported. I also use my various macs to connect to other JIRA installs (that are running in windows or linux), and the mac works fine.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

I'd say that just being Mac OS isn't a barrier to using Jira. As clients you can use Jira on any of the supported browsers.

One the server, you can install on Mac OS, it's just not supported

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Mac+OS+X

Atlassian's official line is:

JIRA running on Mac OS X should only be used for evaluation purposes!

Mac OS X is not a supported operating system for the JIRA server because until recently no supported Oracle JDK and JRE (formerly Sun JDK and JRE) was available for this operating system. It is our view that the cost of supporting JIRA on OS X would be better spent fixing bugs and developing other requested features.

Please note:

• If you encounter problems with your JIRA server running on Mac OS X, they may not be fixed as we do not test JIRA with unsupported Java platforms.
  • However, JIRA users can still access your JIRA server through a supported browser on Mac OS X.

So it's up to you.... you can run it locally but may not get the full support from Atlassian. You could always go to one of the partners and get support from them.

You could always use the onDemand service if you want a plain setup with limited plugins.

There are also other partners that will offer to host custom services for you.

Don't let the server OS restrict your choice, choose Jira on it's merits as an application/service

Suggest an answer