MBeans not listed in JConsole

Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

I've enabled the JMX Monitoring on our JIRA instance.

However, when monitoring the PID of JIRA with JConsole the MBeans documented on Live monitoring using the JMX interface aren't listed under the com.atlassian.jira property. I only see BasicDataSource.

Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

The knowledge base article is missing that configuration. Would be great if someone from the Atlassian team could add this information on how to configure a Windows service for remote access to the JMX monitoring. The current version of this article only lists setenv.sh and setenv.bat as possible configuration possibilities:

1. cmd: JIRA\bin>tomcat8w.exe //ES//*JIRA-service-name-here*
  2. Added the following Options in tap JAVA
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=*remote-port.here*
  3. Decide how you will secure your remote connection. [...]

I would have provided that feedback myself via the feedback form but it looks like I'm not permitted to submit feedback to this article.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

HI Andreas,

• Is this local or a remote monitoring?

I tried this with sudo and without and the difference without sudo was I didn't see the JIRA connection but I  still did not see basic datasource.

If you run  jps -lV or sudo jps -lV do you see the datasource there?

Cheers,

Branden

Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2018

Thank you for the hint, Branden.

Since I'm running JIRA as a Windows Service, sudo wasn't "the problem".

Meanwhile I was able to fix the problem. Here's what I did:

1. cmd: JIRA\bin>tomcat8w.exe //ES//*JIRA-service-name-here*
  2. Added the following Options in tap JAVA
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=*remote-port.here*
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
  3. Went to JIRA > System > JMX monitoring: Deactivated and activated JMX monitoring
  4. Open JConsole
  5. Connected to remote > localhost:*remote-port-here*

The MBeans are now visible on my system.

Suggest an answer