Lots of JS errors in Jira during issue preview

Joel Collins January 9, 2018

I've been experiencing some intermittent degraded functionality when using Jira lately and am wondering if its some combination of chrome plugins or just my bad luck.

When I click on a case in my Jira board and the preview window opens, it stays "greyed out" (loading).  The following JS errors appear in the console: 

Uncaught TypeError: Illegal invocation
at Function.isPlainObject

There are also a lot of the following:

RPC: request rejected (bad origin) ...

The issues seem to stay for a couple days, and then go away, and then come back, etc.  I've cleared application cache for the domain numerous times, it doesn't seem to have a clear impact.

3 answers

1 vote
Oddbjørn Kvalsund January 16, 2018

I am experiencing this as well. One weird thing I've observed is that the issue preview content initially never appears, but if I resize the window the content appears along with a load of errors in the console. I have tried reloading, disabling cache, logging out and in again, but to no avail. Opening the JIRA instance in a Chrome incognito windows works, however.

Screenshot from 2018-01-16 14-08-27.png

skube January 16, 2018

Simply by temporarily disabling my Redux DevTools extension seems to fix the issue. (Though curiously, re-enabling it again everything seems fine - at least for a while)

If it works in incognito it may indicate some extension is causing issues.  

Curtis M. Humphrey, Ph.D. February 10, 2018

Disabling the redux extensions works for me too. Using the whitelisting option in redux extension to not include JIRA does not work. The extension must not be present at all (disabled) and then I have to reload the page. So, my guess is the hook the extension places in the page is causing the issue.  If you enable the extension later the hook does get engaged so it works.  Must be something non-standard with the way the redux actions are being used since many sites use redux and this is the only one that has an issue with the extension that I know of.

0 votes
Carl-Erik Kopseng January 16, 2018

Also happening for us, but only for some users. Persisted through log out/log in.

Sorry for posting, didn't see that this wasn't a normal message board, but a StackOverflow like QA thing. That was supposed to be a comment.

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

Hi Joel, are you using cloud or server?

cloud i think?, [ourdomain].atlassian.net is the domain

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

Ok, are you on a corporate network that uses some kind of cache or proxy?

Can you try by disabling the browsers cache? in chrome you can find it  here:

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 13.43.34.png

Hope it helps

Yeah i'm on a corporate network, but i recall the issue happening at home as well.  Caching is disabled.

I disabled all extensions and the problem went away.  Then I re-enabled all my extensions and the problem... still went away.  Something screwy is going on with my browser.

Carl-Erik Kopseng January 18, 2018

@Joel Collins The disable/enable extension thing is consistent with what @skube writes in a comment above as well. I'll try that as well.

Suggest an answer