Lost issues after dragging them into a different sprint

Jessica Palmer July 25, 2017

We have been using the KANBAN board, and we've had a very long sprint (going on two months). I wanted to move the CLOSED issues into a different sprint so I could negotiate the board more easily. I set up a new sprint, selected the issues in BACKLOG view and dragged them into the new sprint. Now, they have all disappeared. They are not in the current sprint or in the new one I created. Issue searching for CLOSED issues isn't finding them either. How can I recover these?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

What does the board filter say?  Can you go to visit one of the issues directly, in standard JIRA issue view?

Most important though - what status does the right-hand column in your board contain?   I am guessing it is "closed", so Closed issues shouldn't appear in the backlog.

I can't navigate to one of the issues because I don't know the exact ticket numbers (didn't expect them to disappear). Yes these were all "closed" - even if I 'start' the backlog sprint they are still not showing up.

Searching for closed tickets in issue navigator also isn't finding them.

any clue on how to display closed tickets in the backlog?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

I don't think you'll ever find issues that match the "definition of done" appearing in the backlog.  The backlog is only supposed to show things that need doing.

You should still be able to find them of course - start with a filter for "updated > date/time just before you dragged them over", and filter for anything else you know about them (were they all in one project, only of certain issue types, assigned to one person, etc)

Thanks - strange how when I searched for closed tickets modified within a day they didn't show up, but when I searched by resolution (fixed, done) then I found them and was able to bulk-edit them into the holding 'sprint'. 

Seems like a bug that Jira would let you basically move tickets into obscurity like that :/

Suggest an answer