Looking to add a new status called "On Hold" in the project

suhaim abdussamad October 15, 2012

I am stuck trying to add an "On Hold" status in the project. Here is a screenshot that shows the issue. How do I get to the active workflow to be able to add this transition. I think I have made something simple to do very complicated :). Any help is appreciated. thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2012

Hello there,

You are being prompted this screen because you are trying to edit an active workflow. Actually, according to the documentation on Configuring Workflows, there are some limitations when editing an active workflow:

Please note that the following limitations apply when editing an active workflow (i.e. a draft workflow):

• Workflow steps cannot be deleted.
  • A step's associated Status cannot be edited.
  • If a step has no outgoing transitions, it cannot have any new outgoing transitions added.
  • A step's Step ID cannot be changed.

To make the modifications you want on this particular workflow, you will need to copy the workflow, modify the copy and then activate it.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clarissa.

thanks for the info. I am confused by a draft workflow being an active workflow. Sounds contradictory. Am i understanding this correctly?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

The message is confusing. I first read it as you are editing an active workflow as well. I can also read this message to mean you on-hold step is read-only which it is in that you can transition into it but never get out of it.

2 votes
S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

You can edit a draft workflow. But the error that you are getting means in you active workflow you do have On Hold status but you are not having any out going transition attached to it. In active workflow you cannot add any transition to a step if that step is not having any transition to it.

The workaround would be,

1. Copy active workflow

2. Do the necessary changes

3. Attach to new workflow scheme

4. Associate that to your project.

When you will attach the project to new workflow scheme you will get prompt for changing existing issue's status as per the new workflow. In this case you should not get any problem because your existing workflow and new workflow won't have any changes in steps.

Hope this helps.

-Regards

Shruti

1 vote
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2012

Hello there,

A draft is a copy of an active workflow and when you make modifications on it, it will overwrite the active workflow and these changes will impact on the projects and/or issue types the workflow is applied to. That's why the restrictions exist, because it will simply overwrite everything

When you create a copy of an active work and modify it, once you associate to a project, JIRA will show you a screen to 'map' all the issues from the previous workflow to the new workflow, so no issues end up on a status that doesn't exist on the new workflow.

When you create a draft, this screen to 'map' the issues is not present, that is why you have the restrictions when editing an active workflow.

Hope it clarifies a little bit!

Cheers,

Clarissa.

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

Given all the issues the people mentioned already, you still need to add out transitiions. You cannot just end your workflow in the on-hold step. You need to be able transition out of it.

Your other choice is to transition to the closed step with the resolution set to on-hold.

0 votes
S
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

Hi letstestthis,

Where do you want to put your on hold step in your current workflow?

Ideally, for open, in progress and reopened. If it is easier for it to be available for all steps, that is also fine.

Suggest an answer