Looking for more info about how cloud handles attachments

Daniel Williams November 10, 2017

Hey Guys,

My data team is looking to make some larger attachments to JIRA tickets. Specifically, we have batches of images that need uploading to the website and it would be convenient to be able to attach those batches as rar files to the respective request.

The possible downside here is that those files often get as large as a gigabite.

I'm wondering what the SPECIFIC speed or performance implications of storing gigabite attachments is. These attachments are going to range from 20mb to 1000mb and they'll be attached to tickets with near daily frequency.

When I say "specific" implications - I know that the database will be slower as it gets bigger. What I don't know is what sorta implications large attachments have in things like issue search and updating of issue fields, etc. In addition to this, I'm not sure when attachments get archived or compressed on the backend.

If you could get me whatever information you can, it would be appreciated.
Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2017

Jira is not designed for large file handling and you'll find large files fail to upload or download reliably.  If you are successful in storing them, you won't find any impact on the system - the files sit on a file system as a block of data and are only used when someone tries to view them.

However.  You say you are on Cloud.  Where there is a 25Gb limit for smaller sites, and 100Gb for larger ones.This idea is a non-starter.  You should look to provision a proper large file store system and link Jira issue to it.

Suggest an answer