Looking for a way to display a list of stories to end users, but they should not be able to access stories (or need limited view of stories)

Linda Stolk October 13, 2015

Hello,

We are trying to figure out a way to publish a list of stories to users. The problem is, that they should either not have access to the story itself at all, OR they need a very 'locked down' view of the story. We do not want them to see the comments/history/etc.

I've tried to publish a report in Confluence using a filter set to visibility "everyone", hoping that we could 'display only' a list of stories, but the filter displays nothing since the users do not have access to the stories that would normally display in that filter (ex. as 'IT person' I can see all the items in the filter, but as 'end user' I cannot see anything). I can't grant the end users access to the stories, because then they can everything in the story.

I've tried to see if I can somehow give locked down permissions to view the story (ex. user can only see summary/description fields) but can't figure out a way to do this either.

Essentially we just need to either figure out a way we can create a 'view only' list of stories that the user can see, but not access.... or let them access the stories but with a very limited view of what fields they can see.

Basically what we're trying to achieve is:

-Change Report which will be published at time of each product release listing the items in that release

-Dynamically updated page where you can see 'items in queue', 'items in progress', 'items waiting approval' etc as they move through the various stages

The issues we're encountering:

-We do not want user to see the full history/comments of the story in JIRA because it often contains information we don't want them to see such as internal clarification of items/issues etc.

We currently are achieving this by having two different projects and creating a story in the 'public' facing project, and then linking all the 'internal facing' stories to that public facing project. The problem is that it's very time consuming to make sure that they stay in sync as far as the statuses go, people are sometimes forgetting to create the public facing one when they create the internal facing one, people are complaining about needing to create two stories for each actual story required....basically it's a huge pain!

Any ideas/help would be appreciated. We are using the cloud version of Jira/Confluence.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2015

The really simple answer is "you can't".  There's a simple rule - either you can see something or you can't.

Of course there are options, but not many.

First thought - Quisapps have a "field security" add-on for JIRA which will hide field content from users.  But you can't install that on Cloud, so I think you're a bit stuck. 

But if that's not good enough, then you're in the realms of coding - you'll have to use a standard account to extract partial data from JIRA to be published somewhere for the more restricted users to view it.  Cloud supports extracts (xml from filters, REST calls etc), but you'll need to find somewhere to publish the data you scrape.

0 votes
Linda Stolk October 14, 2015

That's unfortunate. I know that JIRA is designed to work collaboratively amongst a team, however it would be very helpful to also share release/'in the pipeline' information with users without having to give them full access to see the entire JIRA item.

It seems like an important feature to be able to share certain elements (ex: even just a list showing the title/ref# so they can see what's on the horizon, or can reference it when contacting support) without giving full access to see your internal communications/work history etc.

I'm sure we'd be able to find a place to publish our data, but I'm assuming it would not dynamically update? (Sorry, the coding side of things is not my realm of expertise)

Suggest an answer