Log work as another user

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2013

So...I think I know the answer (you can't with out using a plugin), but I want to confirm that someone else hasn't come up with a genious way to do so.

Can you log work as another user, with out being that user?

Like I said...I suspect "not with out using a plugin..." but it's late and I've been looking into it and just need someone to sanity check my brain.

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2013

You are right, not without a plugin. On onDemand, tempo provides that option.

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Does Tempo replace the Jira worklog functionality? I haven't played with it before.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

it extends the JIRA worklog functionality. Tempo makes use of JIRA worklogs only and optionally adds more attributes to work logs. Then there is all the reports and additional features like logging work for others.

Vinicius Freitas January 12, 2014

Where or how exactly dows tempo allow you to log work as/for another user?

1 vote
José León _Sistel_ June 30, 2017

A simple (and supported) solution is to use this plugin:

Log work as another user

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/es.sistel.plugins.jira.logwork-as-another-user/server/overview

That allows you to log work on behalf of another user of your choice.

Regards

0 votes
VL September 14, 2020

The latest version of Worklog Express app that we (END2END) have developed which was released on September 11, 2020. gives users the ability to log work on behalf of other users.

log work 3.PNGIn your project permission scheme there is one permission called "Create for" which offers the possibility to assign worklog for different user.

Check our documentation for more details.

0 votes
Laszlo Lieszkovszky March 5, 2019

"Log Work Utilities" is no longer maintained.

"Log work as another user for Jira" I have no experience with and may work, but it costs $ and we refuse to shell out hard-earned dollars for every little shortcoming of Jira. Soon we will need a paid plugin just to log into Jira or to open an issue.

In any case I managed to log work as another user today (in March, 2019) using the following free (well, for now) and maintained "User Switcher for Jira". 

You open the issue you want to log work for, click "x" and select the user to switch to. Then you can use the regular "Log Work" functionality.

Eric Follana Guijarro March 5, 2019

Hello,

Why is not working "Log work as another user"?

Could you please give us more details?

Thank you,

Regards

Laszlo Lieszkovszky March 5, 2019

Ah, wait, I'm sorry, I mixed the plugins up! 

So "Log Work Utilities" is the plugin that does not work (no surprise since it writes "this plugin is no longer maintained" in the plugin description). 

"Log Work as Another User" I have no experience with.

I will correct my comment above.

0 votes
Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2015

That is also possible with free add-on Log Work Utilities: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.gebsun.plugins.jira.log-work-utilities/server/overview

It offers standard JIRA Log Work dialog extended by additional "User" field. Simply select "Log Work Extended" option/action located next to standard "Log Work" on the issue page and enjoy. 

ChristineA October 28, 2016
0 votes
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2014

See this post on logging work with JIRA Agile and Tempo. It also includes a video demonstration. Note that the feature also works without JIRA Agile.

Cheers,
Viðar

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2014

It looks like you can choose the user you are logging work for from the pull-down menu.

From: https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Logging+Work

"The current user name is displayed in the header of the log work dialog to keep reference, in case a Team Lead (or a user with Approve Timesheet permission) is logging work for team members, given the option User with Approve Timesheet Permission can log work for team members is enabled in Global Configuration."

Keea Raymond January 2, 2020

I am not finding the pull down menu to log work for another user in Jira and Tempo Budgets.  Can you assist me with this?

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

Oh...and the use case is in Jira Agile, during sprint close out, the lead is logging work but wants it to show up as the actual user instead of him.

Suggest an answer