Log of outgoing Jira emails

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2014

Hi there.

Is there any place where I (as a system administrator) can go through the list of successfuly sent emails from Jira?

Some workers report not getting the some important notifications from Jira. I tried to verify that information, so I looked for the outgoing mail log. I found the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log, but it shows only warns and errors. I can't seem to find any log or registry of all successfully sent mails, therefore I can not verify if users just missed the mails (spam folder maybe), or if they realy did not receive it.

5 answers

7 votes
Jason Orlando [Dow Jones] May 12, 2015

I'd love to see an verbosity option which just shows me subject line, recipients, timestamp, and perhaps sender on a single line in that log for a successfully sent mail.   I certainly don't need the message body.  We generate a tremendous amount of mail and running in debug mode full time is not an option for us.  Currently it is very difficult to determine if missing mail is a user issue, an SMTP issue, or a JIRA Issue.

2 votes
Jens Knipper January 26, 2017

Sorry for the late reply.

We had a similar isssue and wrote a plugin for compensation. You can now see in the issue who has ben notified.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.materna.jira.plugins.maillogger/server/overview

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2017

That looks very promising!

When will the plugin become paid?

Like Matiss Davis likes this
Gishnu October 2, 2018

Is there one available for the cloud version

Like # people like this
Mike McNamara November 15, 2018

Wow, that plug in is awesome. Just installed it. Only shows activity going forward, as expected, but works well!

Gunnar Thiele July 13, 2020

Hi Jens,

sorry for disturbing you. I try to get your Add on up and running, but no log appears, of what has been mailed. I found a discussion in the marketplace, that it might be conected, to the new JIRA 8 feature, to batch outgoing e-mails. I lave that feature, even more, that I love your feature, which sounds very valuable, so I try to get an answer via this channel.

I'm very sorry to disturb you this way regarding an addon free of charge.

Regards

Gunnar

1 vote
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

Did you enable the logging for outgoing emails? Take a look into the Logging and Profiling admin section.

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

Yes. Logging is on, debugging is off.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

If you turn debugging on, you will see all emails (and get a lot log entries :-))

Like Pavel Chalyk likes this
Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2014

I have turned debugging ON.

It worked, but after few hours it turned off by itself. I turned it back on, it worked again, and it turned off again after a while. It seems like there is some timer on debug email logging...

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2014

you may wanna look at

{INSTALL-DIR}/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

0 votes
James February 10, 2015

We have the same question.  We really need to log sent emails (for auditing) but with normal email logging turned on the only thing in the log files are errors.  Turning on debugging is far to verbose.  Another very curious thing is that I am seeing incoming error message in the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log

2014-12-10 13:39:23,206 WARN [JIRA_SVC_Incoming] QuartzScheduler_Worker-2 ServiceRunner    jira@acxiom.com Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'multipart/related;
0 votes
Mark Gallen February 4, 2015

You'll want to look for SR-247.

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2015

Could you please explain what is SR-247? I tried to look for such issue in atlassian jira, but didn't find any.

Suggest an answer